LAHORE: An explosion in Lahore’s DHA Y-Block has claimed seven lives while 17 people have been injured, rescue sources informed Geo News.
However speaking to the media, Punjab Health Minister Salman Rafiq claimed 4 people had been killed, 4 were critically and doctors were fighting to save their lives while another 15 injured were under treatment at the General Hospital.
After some conflicting reports, the Punjab Police confirmed the explosion to have been caused by a timed device with 8-10 kilogrammes of explosives used.
Blast in DHA Lahore
LAHORE: At least eight people were killed and 21 others injured after a blast ripped through an under-construction building in Lahore’s Defence Z block area on Thursday, officials said.
“It was a bomb attack,” Nayab Haider, a spokesperson for the Punjab police said. Rescue services spokesperson Deeba Shehnaz provided the casualty toll.
Television footage showed a smouldering building and several crumpled cars with their windows blown out.
The explosion took place in the particularly affluent Defence Housing Authority suburb of the city, replete with upscale boutiques and cafes as well as an academy for the international hair salon Toni & Guy.
“Lahore General Hospital has received four bodies, while four patients of the 23 admitted in the hospital, are in critical condition”, said Chief Minister Health Khwaja Salman Rafique.
A few days earlier the same market was evacuated by law enforcement agencies after a bomb threat.
A day earlier, Pakistan’s military announced the launch of a new nationwide military offensive, codenamed Radd-ul-Fasaad (suppressing mischief), with an aim to eliminate remnants of terrorists, following a sharp spike in terrorist attacks,.
Courtesy: Geo-tv & Express News